Anthony Joshua has spoken out on his proposed heavyweight title unification fight against Tyson Fury, which he insists will just be another fight. Earlier this month, it emerged that Fury’s representatives – MTK Global – ignited exploratory talks with Joshua’s team over a multi-million-pound showdown.
According to ESPN, MTK broached Team Joshua with the idea of a lucrative unification fight in the Middle East in December.
Saudi Arabia are said to be the frontrunner to stage the contest, although it’s been claimed the bout could take place elsewhere in the Arabian Peninsula.
In order for the pair to share the ring this winter, Joshua and Fury must first get out of their respective contractual obligations to face Kubrat Pulev and Deontay Wilder.
Regardless of if the pair face one another before or after their bouts with Pulev and Wilder, their meeting will be the biggest fight in the history of British boxing.
JUST IN: Mike Tyson challenged to fight by former UFC HW champion
Fury’s just another opponent at the end of the day
Anthony Joshua on his proposed heavyweight title unification fight with Tyson Fury
Joshua agrees with that notion but insists his long-awaited clash with ‘The Gypsy King’ won’t be the biggest fight of his career.
“You know what? There will be even bigger [fights in my career] because I’m not going anywhere,’ Joshua said during an Instagram live broadcast. “I’m here to make history.
“I’m hungry, I’m fired up, Fury’s just another opponent at the end of the day.
“It’s going to be big for everyone else but I’ve got to keep myself together and I look at Fury like he’s just another fighter.”
Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury: Status of Middle East fight talks
Mike Tyson comeback slammed by former promoter: Give me a break
Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury mega-fight CAN happen next
Despite downplaying the magnitude of the long-awaited Battle of Britain, Joshua is looking forward to sharing the ring with his WBC counterpart.
The unified heavyweight champion added: “In terms of the spectacle, the trash talk, two juggernauts coming together, I can’t wait.
“I’ve tasted what being on top of that mountain tastes like, I’ve tasted what being knocked off tastes like and I’ve climbed back up.
“Whoever steps in front of me now will know i’m not looking to go back down.
“When I’m fighting Pulev or when the opportunity to fight Fury for the WBC for the they’re going to see what it’s like for a man to lose it all and won it back, a man that’s experienced those turbulences doesn’t want to go through that again.”
Joshua, who last in action in December 2019, is tentatively slated to defend his titles against Pulev on July 25.
The 30-year-old’s meeting with the Bulgarian was initially scheduled to take place on June 20 but was postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Like Joshua’s clash with Pulev, Fury’s trilogy fight with Wilder has also been postponed due to the global pandemic.
The third instalment of Fury vs Wilder was set to take place in Las Vegas on July 18.
A new date for the fight has not yet been announced, although Fury’s American-based promoter Bob Arum has revealed they’re hoping to stage the bout in October.
Fury’s last outing was his February rematch with ‘The Bronze Bomber’, whom he recorded a seventh-round TKO victory over to claim the WBC throne.
Joshua, meanwhile, was last in action against Andy Ruiz Jr last December, defeating the Mexican via unanimous decision to reclaim the unified titles.
Source: Read Full Article