Tyson Fury gets green light to DODGE his WBC mandatory – clearing the way for him to face Anthony Joshua in 2021 as long as they can both defend their titles next month – as Mauricio Sulaiman says he’d welcome a fight for the undisputed heavyweight crown
- WBC champion Tyson Fury is set to make his UK homecoming on December 5
- Anthony Joshua will defend his titles against Kubrat Pulev the following weekend
- The two Brits are due to face off next year if they can win their upcoming fights
- WBC chief said he would welcome a fight for the undisputed heavyweight crown
Tyson Fury has been given the go-ahead by the WBC to pursue an undisputed heavyweight clash against fellow Brit Anthony Joshua.
The two men have agreed finances on a two-fight deal next year, which would see them bring the heavyweight belts together to determine the first undisputed champion since Lennox Lewis.
Joshua currently holds the WBO, WBA and IBF titles, while Fury is the WBC champion after defeating Deontay Wilder in February.
Tyson Fury won the WBC title in February and is now set for a showdown with Anthony Joshua
Joshua is ‘keen to get his hands on’ Fury’s WBC title and become the undisputed champion
Fury is expected to make the first defence of his WBC title at the Royal Albert Hall on December 5, but is yet to name an opponent. Germany’s undefeated European champion Agit Kabayel is in talks to face the Gypsy King and is close to agreeing to the fight.
Later that month AJ will defend his belts against 39-year-old Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev, who’s only professional loss came at the hands of Wladimir Klitschko in 2014.
Providing both men come through those tests unscathed, an all British showdown is set to take place next year.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman has confirmed he wouldn’t insist that Fury fight their mandatory challenger, which would be the winner of the Dillian Whyte versus Alexander Povetkin rematch.
Joshua will need to beat Kubrat Pulev in December in order to set up unification bout with Fury
Fury had been due to fight the winner of Dillian Whyte (left) vs Alexander Povetkin rematch
That bout had originally been scheduled for November 21 after Povetkin won the first contest in August, but has now been postponed until the new year after he was hospitalised with Covid-19.
Joshua tweeted: ‘Fighting for the WBC title would be an honor. It’s a prestigious belt, it’s one that I’m keen on getting my hands on.’
Sulaiman replied: ‘Dear champ, your message is humbling. We are proud of you.
‘The WBC was the first organization to rank you. A proud former WBC International champion.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman confirmed he would welcome an undisputed title clash
Oleksandr Usyk is Joshua’s WBO mandatory and won’t sidestep his title fight to allow Fury bout
‘We welcome you to fight for the ultimate unification for the undisputed heavyweight championship.’
Sulaiman’s comments raises hope that Joshua and Fury can finally settle their long-standing rivalry in the ring.
The fight however remains far from set in stone with the majority of terms still to be agreed while AJ’s mandatories could also scupper the plans.
Joshua saw Oleksandr Usyk cement his place as his WBO No 1 after outpointing Dereck Chisora last month and has already stated he would not sidestep his mandatory title fight to allow the Brit face Fury.
AJ does not want to relinquish the WBO title but may have his hand forced to secure a fight with Fury.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article