Conor McGregor shares pictures that PROVE he was suffering with injury to left leg before he broke it in UFC 264 showdown with Dustin Poirier
- Conor McGregor shared images of his pre-existing injury that led to his leg break
- The Irishman broke his left leg in the first round of his Dustin Poirier trilogy fight
- He has shared photos of his leg wrapped in tape, in an ice bucket and elevated
Conor McGregor has taken to Twitter to prove he had a pre-existing injury that led to his left leg breaking in the first round of his trilogy fight with Dustin Poirier.
The Irishman shared several photos from his training camp, showing how his left leg had been compromised and required medical attention prior to UFC 264.
McGregor claims other fighters in a similar position would have pulled out of the bout but admits he ‘wouldn’t change his journey’ for the world.
Conor McGregor has shared images of his pre-existing injury that led to his leg break
The photos posted on McGregor’s Twitter account show his leg elevated and wrapped in tape.
The images also show McGregor undergoing several medical examinations, including x-rays, prior to his all-important bout with Poirier.
The images support McGregor’s claim that he had ‘multiple stress fractures’ in his left leg prior to the Las Vegas showdown.
The images also raise questions over the UFC’s management of McGregor, considering he passed his pre-fight medical screening.
Taking to Instagram after the fight, McGregor said: ‘I was injured going into the fight.
‘People are asking me, ‘When was the leg broke? At what point did the leg break?’ Ask Dana White. Ask the UFC. Ask Dr (Jeff) Davidson, the head doctor of the UFC. They knew I had stress fractures in my leg going into that cage.
‘It was debated about pulling the thing out because I was sparring without shin pads and I would kick the knee a few times.
‘So I had multiple stress fractures in the shin bone above the ankle and then I have trouble with the ankle anyway throughout the years of (expletive) fighting all the time. And I also was rapping my ankle every training session.’
McGregor has since had surgery on his left leg after breaking it in the opening round of last weekend’s UFC 264 lightweight main event in Las Vegas.
The MMA icon, who turns 33 on Wednesday, will be in crutches for the next six weeks.
McGregor has also been issued a minimum suspension from fighting or training until August of this year.
As a result, the 32-year-old is not allowed to engage in any contact training between now and August 10 and his ban on professional fighting will run for a further 15 days.
Nevertheless, McGregor has confirmed his desire to ‘build back’ after his successful surgery.
‘Just out of the surgery room, everything went to plan,’ McGregor said after undergoing the knife
‘Everything went perfect, I’m feeling tremendous. We’ve got six weeks on a crutch now and we begin to build back.
‘I want to thank all the fans all the way around the world for your messages of support.
The Irishman broke his left leg in the first round of his Dustin Poirier trilogy fight last weekend
McGregor has since had surgery on his leg and will be in crutches for the next six weeks
‘I hope you enjoyed the show. I want to thank all the fans in attendance at the T-Mobile Arena, 21,800 fans in attendance. The place was absolutely electric.
‘It was a hell of a first round. It would have been nice to get into that second round and then see what’s what. But it is what it is. That’s the nature of the business.
‘A clean break of the tibia and it was not to be. Dustin, you can celebrate that illegitimate win all you want, but you’ve done nothing in there.
‘That second round would have shown all. Onwards and upwards we go. We dust ourselves off, we build ourselves back, and we come back better than ever.’
UFC supremo Dana White has confirmed that the pair will meet for a fourth time when McGregor recovers from his latest setback.
But Tuesday’s ruling has confirmed that the rematch will not be taking place until 2022.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article