Tyson Fury beats Deontay Wilder to become heavyweight world champion

Tyson Fury delivered a stunning performance to stop Deontay Wilder and become a two-time heavyweight world champion.

Fury started well and never slowed down, dropping the American for the first time in his career in the third round.

Although the champion survived, he looked short of ideas as Fury's aggressive tactics took him by surprise.

Wilder was able to stagger through another round but was dropped again the fifth by a body shot.

Again the champion showed remarkable resilience to see out the stanza but he looked short of time.

Wilder lasted until the seventh round when the towel came in after another sustained attack in the corner.

Fury came agonisingly close to beating Wilder 14 months ago when he clambered off the canvas twice to hear the final bell.

He looked to have done enough to dethrone the long-reigning champion but was denied victory when the judges scored the bout a draw.

Negotiations began to stage an immediate rematch but Fury pulled out of the talks to sign an £80million, five-fight deal with US broadcaster ESPN.

Instead of another shot at the only world title to elude him, Fury dispatched Tom Schwarz in the second round while Wilder demolished Dominic Breazeale inside three minutes.

Fury was then dragged into a dog fight by Otto Wallin last September when he suffered a nasty cut above his right eye in the third round before dragging himself through until the final bell.

Wilder, meanwhile, KO'd Luis Ortiz in their November rematch with a stunning one-punch knockout to set up the sequel with Fury.

Fury walked to the ring accompanied by his new trainer SugarHill Steward who was drafted in to replace Ben Davison who had played a huge part in Fury's comeback in 2018.

Wilder, as has become tradition, wore a custom-made mask for his entrance into the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Fury meanwhile entered on a throne wearing a gold crown and took his time reaching the squared circle.

The Brit stayed true to his pre-fight promise and took the centre of the ring but it was Wilder who landed the first right hand of the fight.

The American looked to jab to the body but took a right hand himself as Fury made a strong start.

A quieter second round looked to be going Wilder's way but Fury imposed himself in the final 30 seconds to edge further ahead.

The challenger began to fine tune his right hand in the third round a one-two dumped Wilder on the canvas with 30 seconds to go.

Wilder recovered to hear the bell but looked on shaky legs and was still struggling halfway through the fourth session but again was able to slump back to his corner.

And Fury had the champion down in the fifth with a hook to the body – but the referee then took a point from Fury for punching on the break.

A scrappy sixth round also went Fury's way as he worked an exhausted Wilder over on the ropes.

And one more attack in the seventh was enough to convince the champion's corner to call it a day.

Source: Read Full Article