- Sports reporter, Kansas City Star, 2002-09
- Writer, Baseball, Baseball Prospectus
- Co-author, Pro Basketball Prospectus
- Member, Baseball Writers Association of America
- Member, Professional Basketball Writers Association
The trade: Rays acquire CF Jose Siri from Astros; Astros acquire 1B/OF Trey Mancini from Orioles and RHP Jayden Murray from Rays; Orioles acquire RHP Chayce McDermott from Astros and RHP Seth Johnson from Rays.
To start, we can put it this way: None of Doris Kearns Goodwin, Roger Kahn, Roger Angell nor anyone else would write a nostalgia-laced classic about the beauty of baseball based on this three-team deal.
Let’s hold our noses and get into it.
None of the queasy sentiments that follow are related to the Astros. In Mancini, they acquired a quality veteran bat who slots into the lineup as a corner outfielder, a first baseman or as a DH. If the Astros are firing on all cylinders, one could argue that they need none of these things. If Kyle Tucker, Yordan Alvarez, Yuri Gurriel and Michael Brantley are healthy and rolling, Houston is set.
Source: Read Full Article