Lewis Hamilton reflects on Singapore Grand Prix loss
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
It’s been revealed that the Singapore Grand Prix has been cancelled for 2021 for the second time in a row.
Reports suggest authorities agreed it will not be possible to hold the event in the context of immigration restrictions in the city state, according to the BBC
The race was due to take place across the weekend 1-3 October, however, F1 have declined to comment on the situation.
A spokesperson said to the BBC: “We continue to work with all promoters during this fluid time and have plenty of options to adapt if needed.”
Singpaore has kept infection rates low with strict immigration restrictions and a test-and-trace system in place. It’s the second year in a row the race won’t be taking place.
Organisers are yet to officially confirm the street circuit will not go ahead this year, with possible replacements in the USA, Turkey and China.
Valtteri Bottas wants contract talks in ‘next month’
According to the BBC, Turkey, China and a second race at Austin in the USA are all under consideration as replacements.
Singapore follows in the footsteps of the Canadian, Turkish, and Chinese Grand Prix as F1 still targets a full 23-races on the calendar.
Turkey was only recently added to the schedule, as a replacement for the Canadian Grand Prix, but instead, it was dropped due to COVID-19 restrictions and was replaced by a second race in Austria.
Formula 1 provided an update on the 2021 race calendar in May after new Covid-19 travel restrictions were imposed in Turkey.
Max Verstappen accuses Mercedes of trying to ‘slow down’ Red Bull
Lewis Hamilton responds to ‘heat of the moment’ team criticism
Lewis Hamilton responds to Fernando Alonso verdict on Max Verstappen
That weekend will now remain free, with the French Grand Prix moving a week earlier than originally planned to June 18-20 and a second race in Austria – the Styrian Grand Prix – added to the calendar on June 25-27.
“We were all looking forward to racing in Turkey but the travel restrictions in place have meant we are not able to be there in June,” said Stefano Domenicali, President and CEO of Formula 1, in a statement.
“Formula 1 has shown again that it is able to react quickly to developments and find solutions and we are delighted that we will have a double header in Austria meaning our season remains at 23 races.
“I want to thank the promoter and authorities in Turkey for all of their efforts in recent weeks and want to thank the promoters in France and Austria for their speed, flexibility and enthusiasm in accommodating this solution. We have had very good conversations will all the other promoters since the start of the year and continue to work closely with them during this period.”
The statement also said that the promoter in Turkey requested that F1 look at the potential opportunity for the race in Istanbul to be rescheduled later in the season.
China made the same request earlier this year.
Source: Read Full Article