Owen Farrell starts at 10 for England in their Six Nations opener against Scotland as Eddie Jones selects Mark Wilson to step in for injured Sam Underhill in Calcutta Cup clash
- England face Scotland in the opening match of their 2021 Six Nations campaign
- Eddie Jones has selected Owen Farrell to start at No 10 ahead of George Ford
- Mark Wilson comes in at flanker to replace the injured Sam Underhill for clash
England skipper Owen Farrell has been handed the No 10 jersey for a duel with Finn Russell in Saturday’s Calcutta Cup.
Farrell has taken over the fly-half duties from George Ford, with Ollie Lawrence and Henry Slade completing the 10-12-13 combination.
Head coach Eddie Jones has also named Mark Wilson in the No 6 jersey, with the flanker stepping in for injured star Sam Underhill.
Owen Farrell will start at 10 for England when they face Scotland in their Calcutta Cup clash
The Twickenham fixture marks the 150th anniversary of the Test against Scotland – and Jones wants his team to mark the occasion with a fast start.
‘We’re really looking forward to this game and getting the Guinness Six Nations back underway,’ said Jones.
‘It’s even more special to be taking part in a 150th anniversary game, it will be a good occasion.
Mark Wilson will also start on Saturday, as he comes in to replace the injured Sam Underwood
‘It was difficult to pick the 23 players. We’ve had a really good week of training, it’s been very competitive but I’ve gone with what I feel is the strongest 23 for this week.
‘The Six Nations is a short tournament, it’s a real sprint so we’ll need to be on the front foot straight away. We know Scotland will be raring to go – but so will we.’
With experienced props Joe Marler, Mako Vunipola and Kyle Sinckler all unavailable, Ellis Genge and Will Stuart start in the front-row, either side of hooker Jamie George.
England regained the Calcutta Cup last year with victory at a sodden Murrayfield
Autumn Nations Cup stand-out Maro Itoje is named at lock, partnered by Jonny Hill.
Wilson will make his first England appearance since last March, with Tom Curry and Billy Vunipola also named in the back-row.
In the back-line, veteran No 9 Ben Youngs starts as he chases Jason Leonard’s caps record, while Elliot Daly, Anthony Watson and Jonny May complete the back-three.
ENGLAND XV TO FACE SCOTLAND
15. Elliot Daly (Saracens, 47 caps); 14. Anthony Watson (Bath, 46 caps), 13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 34 caps), 12. Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors, 3 caps), 11. Jonny May (Gloucester, 61 caps); 10. Owen Farrell (c) (Saracens, 88 caps); 9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 104 caps); 1. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 23 caps), 2. Jamie George (Saracens, 54 caps), 3. Will Stuart (Bath, 8 caps); 4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 43 caps), 5. Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, 4 caps); 6. Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 19 caps), 7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 28 caps); 8. Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 56 caps).
16. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 26 caps) 17. Beno Obano (Bath, uncapped) 18. Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 18 caps) 19. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 85 caps) 20. Ben Earl (Bristol Bears, 8 caps) 21. Dan Robson (Wasps, 7 caps) 22. George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 72 caps) 23. Max Malins (Bristol Bears, 3 caps).
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article