NRL star Jack de Belin has denied in court a young woman he claims had a consensual threesome with him and his mate Callan Sinclair had “no say” in what the footballers were doing to her.
On day 11 of their District Court trial, the court heard claims from Mr de Belin that the woman, who has accused the men of rape, knew full well about the planned sex and only appeared concerned about Mr de Belin having a girlfriend.
The St George Illawarra forward said after the threesome at a North Wollongong unit he had a brief shower with the woman before coming back into the bedroom and overhearing her talking with Mr Sinclair.
“I heard her say, ‘Oh my God he’s got a girlfriend’,” Mr de Belin said.
“I said words to the effect of, ‘Don’t stress it babe. We’re on the rocks anyway. It’s complicated’.”
A jury has heard Jack de Belin’s version of events from the night. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Joel CarrettSource:News Corp Australia
The 30-year-old and Mr Sinclair, 23, are standing trial at Downing Centre District Court charged with five counts of aggravated sexual assault stemming from the alleged incident on December 9, 2018.
The court has been told the men met the woman, who can’t be named, on the upstairs dancefloor of Wollongong nightclub Mr Crown before returning to a nearby unit occupied by Mr de Belin’s cousin.
The alleged victim has claimed in evidence before the court that Mr de Belin stripped off her clothes, pinned her down and forced oral, vaginal and anal sex on her, swapping positions with Mr Sinclair.
Both men have pleaded not guilty to all charges and say the sex was consensual.
On Wednesday, the jury heard Mr de Belin’s evidence recorded in the men’s previous trial in November last year, during which he was grilled by crown prosecutor David Scully.
Mr Scully accused Mr de Belin and Mr Sinclair of plotting to have a threesome with the woman while at the nightclub but failed to “let her in” on the plan until they arrived back at the unit.
Callan Sinclair played for the Shellharbour Sharks. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Joel CarrettSource:News Corp Australia
The court has previously heard Mr de Belin’s claim that he propositioned the woman to a threesome on the dancefloor, asking her “Me, you, Cal” after she was “flirty” with M Sinclair.
Mr de Belin claimed she winked and smiled in response, but Mr Scully put to him the woman’s allegations that she believed they were only leaving Mr Crown to go to another nightclub.
“You never discussed (the sex) with her before you got to the unit … there wasn’t even a hint of a suggestion that you were going back for a threesome,” Mr Scully said.
Mr de Belin replied: “Yes there was.”
“You wanted to get her back to the unit and you hoped and expected that when you got there she would have sex with you?” Mr Scully continued.
The former State of Origin player said that was wrong but conceded he believed the woman wanted to have sex with him when they got back to the apartment.
Jack de Belin told the court the allegations made him feel ‘sick’. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Joel CarrettSource:News Corp Australia
Mr Scully put to him that the woman was crying and said “No” but the men did not stop. He asked Mr de Belin if they asked her if it was OK to change positions during sex.
“The fact is she had no say in any of this did she?” he asked.
Mr de Belin said “we all had a say” and declared claims that the men were “cheering each other on” during the sex were false.
He also denied he had been aware police were listening in to his phone calls made in the days after the alleged rape and during which he expressed his shock at the claims.
“It didn’t even come across my mind,” Mr de Belin said.
He said a conversation with Mr Sinclair where they discussed the incident and urged each other to “tell the truth” was not an attempt to get their stories straight.
“I was just reassuring him because I could tell he was so worried and rattled from the whole situation,” he said.
The trial continues.
Source: Read Full Article