‘The dream is to stay here for YEARS’: Antonio Conte pledges his future to Tottenham, despite his current contract expiring next summer and rumours of a return to Italy persisting
- Antonio Conte says he wants to build something at Spurs, despite exit rumours
- Conte’s current deal runs out in the summer summer, but he’s pledged his future
- Spurs play their last game before the World Cup at home to Leeds on Saturday
- Tottenham lost back-to-back games against Liverpool and Nottingham Forest
- Click here for the latest World Cup 2022 news, fixtures, live action and results
Antonio Conte has said he wants to continue to build at Tottenham, despite the fact that his contract in north London currently only runs until June.
Spurs have lost back-to-back games, against Liverpool in the Premier League last weekend, before being dumped out of the Carabao Cup by Nottingham Forest on Wednesday.
However, they won their Champions League group, and are in a good place to finish back in the top four of the league. Conte would like to continue to work with Spurs and add to their success in coming years.
Boss Antonio Conte has pledged his future to Spurs, despite his current deal expiring in June
During the pre-match press conference for Tottenham’s Premier League fixture with Leeds United, Conte said: ‘You know very well that my contract expires in June. Until that moment the club has to make the best evaluation.
‘I think that everything you need to deserve, and it will be important to see the rest of the season, and if we are happy with the improvement we are doing. I think that every situation it’s important to deserve.
‘From my side, it’s important to feel that I deserve a new contract, to sign a new contract with this club. I have to feel this. We will take with the club and find the best solution.’
Conte added: ‘But you know, I think when you start a path with a club, the dream is to stay here for many years and try to build something important.
Conte manages Tottenham for the last time before the World Cup when they host Leeds United
‘I think it’s very important the relationship you create with the players, the club and the environment around you. Don’t forget the ambition. If you’re used to winning, it’s important to match all these situations.
‘If you’re lucky to match all these situations it’s easy for a coach but in modern football it’s different.’
The Italian manager revealed that he had not yet spoken to Fabio Paratici, the Managing Director of Spurs, or chairman Daniel Levy, but expects to enter discussions soon to talk about the first half of the season.
Ahead of Saturday’s match against Leeds, Conte confirmed that Ryan Sessegnon is definitely out following a ‘little problem’, while Richarlison and Dejan Kulusevski require another training session before the team will know if they’re ready to feature in the starting 11.
The match will be the last one Spurs play before a six-week break for the World Cup, and the north London side will be eager to turn around the form that has seen back-to-back losses in the past week.
Conte spoke about how the club’s staff are coping after the death of Gian Piero Ventrone (L)
Conte spoke about the club coping with the passing of coach Gian Piero Ventrone, amid a hectic run of fixtures ahead of the World Cup.
The Italian manager said: ‘I want to be open and say in these 43 days, not only 13 games, it has been a difficult emotional moment. To lose a person like Gian Piero is terrible, not only for me but for also many players. Many players had a great relationship with him. I think someone had a big loss in his heart.
‘Life is this and you have to go forward and move on. We continue to work in the same way. Don’t forget I brought Gian Piero with me to Tottenham, he had been in China helping Fabio Cannavaro and also Fabio Capello.
‘The work is always the same. there is a lack of human aspect and his experience, his relationship with the players. You know it was big loss for us.’
After the Leeds game, a number of Spurs players will join up with their national sides for the World Cup. Recent announcements confirmed that Pape Matar Sarr is part of Senegal’s squad, while Rodrigo Bentancur has been named in Uruguay’s list of players for the tournament.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article