Atletico Madrid are out of the race to sign Cristiano Ronaldo

Now Atletico Madrid are out of the Ronaldo race! Spanish club’s president says it’s ‘practically impossible’ for them to land the Manchester United ace this summer as another potential exit option vanishes for wantaway star

  •  Atletico Madrid have ruled themselves out of a move for Cristiano Ronaldo
  • The 37-year-old returned to United this week after missing their pre-season tour
  • The player’s agent Jorge Mendes is trying to engineer a move away from United
  • Bayern Munich and Chelsea have already ruled themselves out of a possible deal

Cristiano Ronaldo’s chances of being granted his exit from Manchester United dwindled on Tuesday night when Atletico Madrid ruled themselves out of a move for the Portugal forward.

The 37-year-old returned to United on Tuesday after missing the club’s 17-day tour of Thailand and Australia on compassionate leave. 

He held showdown talks with new manager Erik ten Hag, their first meeting since Ronaldo told the club he wants out.

Cristiano Ronaldo arrived at Carrington at 10am on Tuesday morning, accompanied by his agent Jorge Mendes in preparation for crunch talks with Man United boss Erik ten Hag

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo said his club could not afford any move for Ronaldo

The player’s agent Jorge Mendes is trying to engineer a move, but with Bayern Munich and Chelsea having already said no, Ronaldo’s options decreased again when Atletico president Enrique Cerezo said his club could not afford the striker. 

Talking to Spanish radio, Cerezo said: ‘I don’t know who invented this story about Cristiano Ronaldo to Atletico Madrid. 

‘It’s not true. It’s practically impossible for him to come to Atletico Madrid.’

United maintain that their star forward is not for sale.

Ronaldo has a year left on his £360,000-a-week contract and has vowed to remain professional as talks over his future continue.

Ronaldo has missed all of the club’s pre-season so far after being given compassionate leave and did not travel with the rest of the squad to Thailand and Australia

New manager Erik ten Hag gave a debrief of the pre-season tour to Ronaldo on Tuesday

He was part of Manchester United’s tour debrief on Tuesday and proved his willingness to remain professional when he joined United team-mates plus new signings Christian Eriksen and Lisandro Martinez for manager Ten Hag’s 90-minute analysis of their recent tour of Thailand and Australia.

Ronaldo also stopped briefly to greet former boss Sir Alex Ferguson and captain Bryan Robson in the club restaurant ahead of the meeting at 11.30am.

Ferguson and Robson were at Carrington for a scheduled lunch with chief executive Richard Arnold and David Gill, the club’s former CEO.

Arnold was expected to meet Mendes later on to discuss the striker’s future but the club were unwilling to go into detail.

Mendes has indicated he has been impressed by Arnold’s approach and willingness to listen. There has also been an attempt from Arnold to convince Ronaldo to stay and, as of Tuesday night, the club’s official stance remains the same: he is not for sale.

United face Wrexham in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Wednesday but Ronaldo is unlikely to feature. 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article