Barcelona stars 'face ANOTHER wage cut'

Barcelona stars ‘face ANOTHER wage cut’ with president Josep Bartomeu asking Lionel Messi and Co to reduce salaries to save club £9m ahead of LaLiga return… after they took 70 per cent reduction in March

  • Barcelona stars have been asked to take another wage cut by the club president
  • Lionel Messi and Co agreed to take a 70 per cent reduction back in March 
  • However, president Josep Bartomeu has asked his stars to forego more pay 
  • Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

Barcelona players face having to take yet another wage cut having already agreed to a 70 per cent reduction in March.

Quique Setien’s men agreed to a substantial cut in their wages in order to help the club navigate the coronavirus crisis, while also taking other financial cuts in order to help non-playing staff receive pay at the Nou Camp.

However, according to Dario AS, president Josep Bartomeu has asked Lionel Messi and his team-mates to take a further round of cuts.

Lionel Messi and his team-mates have been asked to take another round of pay cuts 

Bartomeu visited the club’s training facilities on May 23, where it is reported he told players that further savings needed to be made by the club, to the tune of £9m. 

The players are yet to give their response to the latest request, which follows on from them voluntarily giving up a combined £12.5m (€14m) in wages between them. 

Tensions within the club are frought due to the actions of the Barcelona board.

Players were under the impression that their wage cut would be used towards guarding the jobs of non-playing staff.

However, Barcelona announced that it would not be covering their costs, instead deciding to furlough employees using Spain’s ERTE scheme.

Barcelona players were approached at training by the club president over a second wage drop

The decision was taken before any decision had been made by LaLiga as to whether the season would be played to a conclusion or not. It also came after a declaration from Bartomeu that the club were on track to break the €1bn barrier in revenue this year.

‘Before February we were operating at an even better rate than we had predicted,’ he said. ‘It was the highest rate in our history.’  

The Spanish season is set to resume on June 11 after the Spanish government gave it the green light to continue.

Barcelona are currently top of the table, two points ahead of Real Madrid.  

Bartomeu visited the training facilities on May 23 and addressed players about their wages 




Share this article


Source: Read Full Article