Bristol City continue 100% start after fast start sees off Forest

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND-UP: Bristol City continue flying start after downing Nottingham Forest while Wayne Rooney scores a trademark free-kick to hand Derby their first victory of the season against Norwich

  • Wycombe Wanderers lost their fourth successive league match
  • Middlesbrough beat Barnsley for their first home league win in nine months
  • Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham United let in 96th-minute own goals 

Bristol City moved to the top of the Sky Bet Championship as first-half goals from Andreas Weimann and Nahki Wells earned them a 2-1 win over struggling Nottingham Forest.

The Robins opened the scoring in the 12th minute when the ball fell kindly for Weimann in the area and he curled it into the bottom corner. 

The Robins doubled their lead 10 minutes later when Wells hooked the ball home from Chris Martin’s knockdown, but Luke Freeman pulled one back with Forest’s first goal of the season – a stunning strike – after 35 minutes.

Andreas Weimann got the visitors off to the perfect start before Nahki Wells made it 2-0

Luke Freeman halved the deficit for Sabri Lamouchi’s men but they could not level the match

City had goalkeeper Dan Bentley to thank for preserving the points as he denied Cyrus Christie and Lyle Taylor with stunning saves.

Swansea stay fourth following a 2-1 win at home to Millwall.

Jake Bidwell broke the deadlock for the Swans in the early stages of the second half, neatly converting Morgan Gibbs-White’s deep cross, but Millwall were swiftly back on level terms through Tom Bradshaw’s strike.

Swansea grabbed the winner in the 68th minute when Ben Cabango finally converted following a scramble in the box.

Luton are in the top five after they claimed a 2-0 win against Wycombe at Kenilworth Road. 

Ben Cabango’s winner kept Swansea City on the heels of the automatic promotion places

Gareth Ainsworth’s Wycombe Wanderers side are facing a reality check after promotion

Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu fired the Hatters into the lead just before the hour with a superb curling strike from outside the box, and after Wycombe’s Scott Kashket had been denied an equaliser by an offside call, Elliot Lee stroked in a second to seal the points.

Middlesbrough recorded their first home league win since December with a 2-1 victory against Barnsley.

Sam Morsy thought he had fired Middlesbrough in front in the 36th minute, only for a late flag to rule it out. His shot had deflected in off Chuba Akpom, who was adjudged to be in an offside position. 

Wayne Rooney got off the mark this season with a brilliant late winner at Carrow Road

Teemu Pukki had earlier slipped when taking a penalty as his struggles in 2020 continued

Boro did go in to half-time ahead, though, as Jonny Howson fired in after Marcus Tavernier’s free-kick came back off the crossbar.

They extended their lead three minutes into the second half when Akpom slotted in the rebound after Tavernier’s shot had been saved, and although Cauley Woodrow pulled one back from the penalty spot, Middlesbrough held on.

In the early kick-off, Wayne Rooney rolled back the years with a brilliant free-kick as Derby struck late to earn a 1-0 win at Norwich and record their first points of the season at the fourth attempt. 

Yoann Barbet (on the ground) after knocking the ball into his own net from Adam Reach’s cross

Angus MacDonald has his head in his hands after inadvertently equalising for Huddersfield

It was rough justice on Norwich, who dominated for long periods and wasted a gilt-edged chance to go ahead early in the second half when striker Teemu Pukki missed from the penalty spot after slipping on the sodden turf.

Sheffield Wednesday now sit on -7 points after letting in a 96th-minute equaliser from QPR’s Macauley Bonne having led through Yoann Barbet’s own goal, while Angus MacDonald’s last-gasp own goal snatched Huddersfield a point in a 1-1 draw at Rotherham, who had taken the lead through Ben Wiles’ low drive.

Cardiff held on for a point in a goalless draw at Blackburn after Lee Tomlin had been sent off with just over 20 minutes remaining.

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article