Donny van de Beek neglect at Man Utd blasted by ex-Holland boss Danny Blind

Former Holland boss Danny Blind has accused Ole Gunnar Solskjaer of neglecting new Manchester United signing Donny van de Beek.

Van de Beek joined United from Ajax in a £40m deal this summer to strengthen Solskjaer's midfield.

But the Holland international, 23, has cut a frustrated figure so far after failing to start a single Premier League game to find himself an outcast.

Van de Beek has started more games for his international side than United this season (three) – and cannot get in the team even after Paul Pogba has been dropped.

He was an unused substitute in the dismal goalless draw with Chelsea on Saturday, with Solskjaer preferring to send on Pogba in the second half instead as United looked to find a winner.

Blind, who managed Holland between 2015 and 2017 and is the father of former United star Daley Blind, has questioned Solskjaer's treatment of van de Beek and admits he cannot understand it.

He said: "What was he (van de Beek) signed for?

"I listened to Solskjaer's press conference (on Friday) and he had nothing but praise for Donny. Yet, he did not even give him a brief cameo.

“He bought him to beef up the squad. Why not use that squad depth?"

Solskjaer was asked about Van de Week after the 0-0 draw with Chelsea and what the midfielder has to do to get a game.

The United boss, who appeared taken aback and surprised by the query, answered: “He’ll get his games, don’t worry about that.

“It’s easy to say who should be playing and more difficult to say who shouldn’t.”

Get the latest transfer news straight into your inbox!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant new Daily Star Sport email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

Meanwhile, Cesar Azpilicueta has accused referee Martin Atkinson of robbing Chelsea of the chance to secure a crucial win at Old Trafford.

Frank Lampard's men were denied a clear cut penalty before half time when replays showed United captain Harry Maguire grabbing Azpilicueta in a headlock.

Atkinson failed to spot the incident or go to look at his pitchside monitor, leaving Lampard and his side frustrated following the goalless stalemate.

Azpilicueta believes the standard of decision making between officials and VAR is unacceptable and is desperate to see things improve.

He said: "I felt yes (it should have been a penalty) because I felt arms around my neck and shoulders.

"The referee can make the decision and the VAR is there (to help). In any situation, the referee takes the main decisions and the monitor is there for him to help, so why not take 20 seconds to review it?

"I think VAR can improve a lot. In football and in the Premier League we should always seek improvement – it is not a criticism, we can all help together to make it a better league."

Source: Read Full Article