Hartlepool United midfielder Mark Shelton has been ruled out their League Two trip to Scunthorpe – because he got a cotton bud stuck in his ear.
Yes, you read that correctly. The 25-year-old won't travel south for the penultimate game of the season following a trip to the hospital this week to get the foreign object removed.
"Mark's had a cotton bud in his ear that has gone in too far," Pools boss Graeme Lee told BBC Radio Tees. "He's gone to the hospital, sounds like the tweezers have gone in too far and he's dizzy and can't stand up."
Fortunately for Lee, the absence won't affect him with his side having nothing left to play for in mid-table. Shelton will join a long list of bizarre football injuries from over the years.
He's in esteemed company with former Manchester United and England defender Rio Ferdinand, who strained his knee after spending too long playing Pro Evolution Soccer on his PlayStation, causing him to miss a run of games for Leeds.
Can you remember another bizarre football injury? Let us know in the comments section.
Perhaps the most famous injury was sustained by fellow former England international Dave Beasant. The goalkeeper tried to control a bottle of salad cream he had dropped while at home, which severed a tendon in his toe and left him sidelined for eight weeks.
And while a cotton bud may be embarrassing, at least it's not what Kevin Kyle had to go through in 2006. The then-Sunderland striker was left in agony after his eight-month old son kicked a bowl of bowling water onto his crotch, causing him to miss their next Premier League game. Ouch.
Source: Read Full Article