Huddersfield thrash Swansea to go seven points clear of the drop zone

Huddersfield 4-1 Swansea: Welsh side are denied the chance to go second in the Championship as Duane Holmes scores twice to end hosts’ eight-game wait for a victory

  • Fraizer Campbell opened the scoring for Huddersfield in the 22nd minute
  • On-loan Aston Villa midfielder Conor Hourihane continued his scoring streak
  • But Lewis O’Brien put Huddersfield in front before Duane Holmes scored twice
  • Jordan Morris suffered awful injury to leave Swans a man short for 30 minutes 
  • It was Huddersfield’s biggest win of the season, ending their long winless run
  • Swansea are one point behind second-placed Brentford with two games in hand 

Duane Holmes struck twice as Huddersfield shredded the Championship’s form guide to win for the first time this year.

A barren start to 2021 had seen the Yorkshire club plunge towards the division’s relegation zone but a sizzling 10-minute spell at the start of the second half checked that and condemned promotion-chasing Swansea to a first league defeat in more than two months.

To compound the misery for Steve Cooper’s team, they were forced to play out the final half hour with 10 men following an horrific injury to on-loan American forward Jordan Morris.

Duane Holmes (centre) scored twice in just his second return appearance for Huddersfield

Cooper had reacted to Huddersfield’s three-goal salvo at the start of the second period with a triple substitution – having also made two changes at the interval – and Swansea were therefore left undermanned for the final third of the contest when Morris collapsed in a heap attempting to take a ball down the left channel in his stride.

Players from both teams urged medical staff onto the pitch after Morris’ left leg appeared to give way after accidentally standing on the ball, and it was placed into a full brace before he was stretchered off.

Victory for the visitors would have lifted them two points clear with two matches in hand in the race for automatic promotion.

And that prospect looked a realistic one when Swansea capped their momentum with an equaliser in first-half injury time.

Fraizer Campbell opened the scoring for Huddersfield to score his sixth goal of the season

Lewis O’Brien was adjudged to have impeded Jay Fulton as he surged down the right – the booking that followed for contesting what appeared a borderline call – to allow Conor Hourihane to swing a left-footed curler inside Ryan Schofield’s upright.

But Huddersfield – who led through Fraizer Campbell’s bobbling shot halfway through the first half – returned to the field with the greater purpose.

Within three minutes, they were ahead for a second time as O’Brien redeemed himself by featuring at the start and finish of a classy team goal.

Nutmegging Swansea captain Matt Grimes 30 yards out to feed Juninho Bacuna, he then surged to the edge of the area to beat Freddie Woodman’s dive with a deflected effort as Huddersfield’s forward interchange opened the space.

Concern for Swansea as striker Jordan Morris was stretchered off with 30 minutes left

In only a matter of seconds, Holmes – who returned to the club from Derby last month – had swept in the home side’s third.

Campbell kept his feet in the area under a hefty challenge, and relayed the ball to Aaron Rowe, who slipped the ball into the path of Holmes, who produced a calm finish into the top corner.

Swansea were shell-shocked and had not recovered when Holmes produced the goal of the game in the 55th minute. Darting across the fringe of the area, he moved the ball onto his right foot and sent it on an arc that arrowed it under Woodman’s left-hand angle.

It had looked like the game was taking a different course when Swansea rode out a first-half purple patch just after Huddersfield took the lead, when Bacuna struck the post with a long ranger.

It was an excellent result for Huddersfield manager Carlos Corberán, ending eight matches without a victory to go seven points of the relegation zone

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article