Lyon to begin two legal actions against Ligue 1 as Premier League served warning

The Premier League have been given a glimpse over what any decision to curtail the current season could look like, as Lyon president Jean Michel Aulas confirmed that his club plan to launch legal actions against Ligue 1.

The French top-flight was ended last month when the French government ruled that no football should take place before September.

Paris Saint-Germain were named as champions as the league was stopped with the vast majority of teams having played 28 games.

But with Lyon down in seventh and a point outside the Europa League places, Aulas has hit out at what he saw as a hasty decision.

The outspoken Lyon president had been campaigning for the league to be declared null and void from the moment that matches were suspended on March 13, something that he was mocked for in France, but UEFA effectively took that option off the table last month by declaring that leagues must provide European qualifiers "on sporting merit".

Now the 71-year-old says he is preparing to launch two legal fights against France's Ligue de Football Professionnel over their decision to curtail the season, claiming that they were operating under the false belief that UEFA wanted to finish all seasons by August 3.

"We first asked to investigate a possible resumption of activity," Aulas told the L'Equipe TV channel.


Source: Read Full Article