Man City Women star targeted by 'abusive messages' after red card

Georgia Stanway reveals she has been ‘subjected to all sorts of abusive messages’ after red card challenge in WSL Manchester derby as City star apologises and insists ‘there was absolutely no malice intended’

  • City star sent off in Manchester derby for nasty tackle on Leah Galton
  • 22-year-old apologises for red card and insists there was ‘no malice’ in it
  • Stanway said she was subject to ‘abusive messages’ on social media after game 
  • City hold United to 2-2 draw despite being down to 10 for almost an hour

Manchester City forward Georgia Stanway apologised for her sending off in the Women Super League’s Manchester derby on Saturday but revealed she’s been subjected to ‘abusive messages’ on social media following the incident. 

The 22-year-old was shown a straight red for a nasty challenge on Leah Galton 35 minutes into the contest. 

As Galton controlled the ball with her left foot and looked to skip past Stanway, the England international completely mistimed her challenge and planted her studs onto the United forward’s thigh.

Man City’s Georgia Stanway (centre) is shown a red card following a challenge on Leah Galton

Stanways issued an apology on Twitter on Sunday after her sending off in the derby

Referee Rebecca Welch was left with no choice but giving the 2019 PFA Women’s Young Player of the Year her marching orders. 

On Sunday morning, Stanway apologised for the sending off but insisted her red card did not warrant the kind of ‘abusive messages’ she received on social media.

‘I want to apologise for the sending off in yesterday’s Manchester Derby,’ she wrote in a note she posted on her Twitter account.

‘Everyone who knows me knows that I’m passionate and competitive. There was absolutely no malice intended and I’m glad Leah was OK and able to carry on with the game.

The City star planted her studs on Galton’s (right) leg leaving referee Rebecca Welch no choice

Stanway completely mistimed her challenge and the result was a nasty collision with Galton

Stanway said she was relieved Galton managed to continue playing after the challenge 

‘A huge thank you to my Man City teammates for the support and effort to secure a point. And to both sets of fans for creating an unbelievable atmosphere.

‘I made a mistake and hope everyone can accept my apology, but I shouldn’t have to log into social media and find myself subject to all sorts of abusive messages – remember we are all humans and mistakes can happen.’

Despite Stanway’s red card, City took the lead through Khadija Shaw’s header shortly before halftime. 

United hit back in the second half, when substitute Lucy Staniforth levelled the score with 72 minutes gone, before Alessia Russo put them 2-1 up just three minutes later.

City eventually snatched a draw courtesy of Ellen White’s goal, but remain ninth in the table, eight points adrift of league leaders Arsenal.

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article