Manchester United exploring alternative signings to Jadon Sancho could be an attempt to hurry up a deal with Borussia Dortmund, according to Sky Sports reporter Dharmesh Sheth. However, Sheth believes that tactic may be lost on Dortmund, who are not prepared to budge from their £108million asking price.
Sancho remains United’s top transfer target for the summer window, which closes in under a month on October 5.
However, the price tag on the 20-year-old’s shoulders has proved a problem so far.
Reports on Thursday claimed United were looking at different options to Sancho to fill the club’s desire of signing a right-sided player.
Sheth says it may be a tactic from the Red Devils to persuade Dortmund to lower their asking price.
JUST IN: Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has Bukayo Saka conundrum after arrival of one signing
But he doubts if the Bundesliga club will do that, with Sancho still having three years remaining on his contract.
“It’s wise that they’ve got a plan B, given the price of Jadon Sancho,” Sheth said on The Transfer Show.
Get NOW TV Sky Sports season pass and save 25 percent
“But this can also be looked at as one of those negotiating tactics as well.
“They’re trying to nudge Dortmund perhaps into doing a bit of business over Jadon Sancho.
Premier League done deals: Every confirmed transfer in the summer window [TRANSFERS]
Willian and David Luiz tried to tempt Brazil team-mate to join Arsenal [TRANSFERS]
Jadon Sancho has copied Harry Maguire and Neymar ahead of Man Utd move [TRANSFERS]
“It must be remembered, Dortmund are simply under no pressure at all to sell Jadon Sancho.
“They won’t budge on that valuation of £108m on a player who is contracted to Dortmund until 2023.
“You could say this is turning into a game of poker, we’ve heard that before, who will blink first? Will Dortmund stand firm?
“As it stands they expect Jadon Sancho to be a Borussia Dortmund player on October 6.”
Sheth reported on Wednesday that United had made a “breakthrough” in a deal for Sancho, as personal terms and agent fees were no longer a problem.
He said: “Manchester United are remaining tight-lipped on these developments but it’s clear that some good progress has been made on overcoming the problems of agent fees and wages.
“Now, we should also say here that United remain very resolute and determined in not overpaying for a player given the realities of COVID-19.
“But given that this was the issue for the past two or three weeks that Manchester United weren’t making a bid because they needed to sort out agents fees and personal terms for Jadon Sancho, this appears to be some sort of a breakthrough for Manchester United.”
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here
Source: Read Full Article