Manchester United chief Ed Woodward has been dealt a blow with Ousmane Dembele deciding to listen to a transfer offer from Liverpool, according to reports. The Barcelona star has emerged as a Red Devils target amid their issues when it comes to signing Jadon Sancho. But United now face a fight to bring the 23-year-old to Old Trafford before Monday’s deadline.
Manchester United are still hopeful of signing Sancho.
But, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer eager for his side to strengthen on the right of their attack, alternatives are being looked at behind the scenes.
United appear to be keen on signing Dembele now. Barcelona have insisted no talks have been held but they would like to sell the player, having seen him struggle ever since his arrival from Borussia Dortmund in the summer transfer window of 2017.
However, Catalan newspaper Sport say Dembele has now decided to listen to offers from Liverpool – as well as United.
The Reds were said to have been initially snubbed by the forward but he’s now changed his mind and is considering a blockbuster move to the Premier League.
Premier League done deals: Every confirmed transfer in the summer window so far
It’s claimed that Barcelona are willing to part ways with the France international but only via a percent deal or with an obligation to buy at the end of the campaign.
And that might not suit United, who only want a loan to cover for the absence of Sancho before going after the Dortmund star again next summer.
Dembele is way down Ronald Koeman’s pecking order at the current moment in time.
The new Barcelona manager has given youth a chance, with Francisco Trincao and Pedri recently getting the nod.
And Dembele will also struggle to oust Ansu Fati and Philippe Coutinho anytime soon, with the pair both shining alongside Lionel Messi at the tip of Koeman’s attack.
Jadon Sancho tipped to sign seven-year Man Utd contract as part of Woodward transfer plan
Man Utd target Jadon Sancho tells Borussia Dortmund he’d be ‘happy’ with Old Trafford move
Jadon Sancho makes transfer demand to agent as Man Utd step up efforts to complete deal
Meanwhile, Cardiff City star Sol Bamba believes United would be onto a winner should they sign Dembele – despite his injury problems at Barcelona.
“He’s a similar sort of player to Sancho,” the Bluebirds star said of Dembele on Sky Sports.
“He’s direct, likes to take people on and score goals.
“I see why United decided to go for him if they don’t get Sancho, but I think the Sancho situation is going on and on and they might have to go on to another target, because if you’re not going to get the player you have to move on and get the second target.
“I think it would be a good signing for United. I know him a bit, he’s a good lad.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
“I do think he needs to stay fit because if he stays fit he is an unbelievable player.
“Unfortunately he has been injured too much at Barcelona, but I think he needs a change of scenery, a change of country maybe and I think United will be the right move for him.”
Dembele and Sancho aren’t the only player’s on United’s radar.
The club are also hoping to recruit Alex Telles from Porto, having already missed out on one left-back in Sergio Reguilon.
And whether they’re able to bring the Brazil international to Old Trafford before Monday’s transfer deadline remains to be seen.
Get NOW TV Sky Sports season pass and save 25 percent
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here
Source: Read Full Article