Newcastle backed to appoint Steven Gerrard with Amanda Staveley ‘big Liverpool fan’

Newcastle United: What will the takeover mean?

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard has been tipped to succeed Steve Bruce at Newcastle United following the club’s impending takeover. Mike Ashley is set to sell Newcastle to a Saudi Arabia-backed consortium, including ‘big Liverpool fan’ Amanda Staveley.

According to The Times, confirmation of a takeover in the North East is imminent and could arrive in the next few hours.

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund will own 80 per cent of Newcastle, with British businesswoman Staveley and the Reuben brothers equally sharing the remaining 20 per cent.

With manager Steve Bruce already under mounting pressure amid the Magpies’ dire start to the season, a takeover could spell the end of his two-year tenure.

And Liverpool icon Gerrard could be in the running to replace the 60-year-old, according to talkSPORT’s Alan Brazil.

JUST IN: Why do Newcastle fans hate Mike Ashley and what will £300m deal mean?

The Celtic-supporting broadcaster has claimed Gerrard could ditch Rangers to succeed Bruce at Newcastle while waiting for Klopp to complete his tenure as Liverpool manager.

He told talkSPORT: “If Steven Gerrard comes down. What is it – 100 miles to Newcastle?

“Waits for Jurgen to head off into green pastures and slips in because I think Amanda Staveley is a big Liverpool fan. It all fits in. It all fits in, of course it does.”

Rangers legend Ally McCoist, also on the show, laughed in response to Brazil’s suggestion.

“I am not sure it’s as simple as that,” McCoist replied.

DON’T MISS

Steve Bruce contract clause could save him from Newcastle sack
Allan Saint-Maximin’s brilliant tweet amid Newcastle takeover frenzy
Newcastle’s new owner spent more on fake Da Vinci than Magpies deal

Gerrard has earned mass plaudits for his work as Rangers manager, helping the Glasgow giants return to the summit of Scottish football.

The 41-year-old led Rangers to an unbeaten league season on their way to dethroning Celtic as Scottish champions in 2020/21.

They secured the title – their 55th Scottish championship – at the earliest date a team has ever won it.

Gerrard’s success in his first managerial role has led to many Liverpool fans tipping him to eventually replace Jurgen Klopp at Anfield.

Follow our new Daily Express Instagram page HERE

But any ambitons that Gerrard may have of taking the Merseyside hot seat will likely have to be shevled until Klopp’s contract expires in 2024.

Newcastle will now seem like an attractive project to most managers, though Gerrard has made no indications he is unhappy at Rangers.

The club’s current boss Steve Bruce is under intense scrutiny at the minute and faces an uncertain future.

As reported by Express Sport today, Bruce is however unlikely to be sacked immediately by Newcastle’s new prospective owners due to a clause in his contract that would require them to pay him £6m in compensation.

Source: Read Full Article