Manchester United sack Ole Gunnar after Watford defeat
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Newcastle are reportedly plotting a move to sign highly-rated Fiorentina striker Dusan Vlahovic. The 21-year-old has attracted interest from some of European football’s biggest names and could be let go by the Italian side in January if the price is right.
Newcastle’s scouts are said to have watched on from the stands as Vlahovic’s Serbia beat Portugal and subsequently qualified for the World Cup in Qatar next November.
The Sun previously reported that the Magpies are admirers of the forward, but now they say Newcastle are expected to step up their interest in the Serbian.
Those close to the deal reportedly claim the fee demanded by Fiorentina won’t quite reach the £70million mark, but it is still set to be a hefty one.
Vlahovic netted 21 goals in 37 Serie A outings for La Viola in the previous campaign and has followed that up by scoring ten times in 13 league appearances this season.
JUST IN: Newcastle boss Eddie Howe’s January transfer plan detailed with specific request
But Newcastle will have to battle with the likes of Manchester City and Tottenham for Vlahovic’s signature, with both Premier League clubs said to be interested in the forward.
Arsenal have also been linked with Vlahovic, while Borussia Dortmund are also rumoured to be interested.
However, the same report says Eddie Howe’s side may have the upper hand in that they are desperate for signings in January, whereas City and Spurs aren’t quite as in need.
Despite the new ownership at St James’ Park, things are currently looking bleak on the pitch.
Steven Gerrard names one thing he’ll miss about Rangers ahead of first Aston Villa match
Matthijs De Ligt negotiating new Juventus contract but Chelsea offered transfer hope
Eden Hazard learns Newcastle transfer escape route in January as Carlo Ancelotti steps in
Newcastle are now bottom of the Premier League table after a disappointing 3-3 home draw with Brentford in a game which saw Howe’s debut delayed.
The new manager was absent from the match after being forced to self-isolate following a positive Covid-19 result earlier this week.
Newcastle took the lead through Jamaal Lascelles, but were pegged back less than a minute later through former Magpies striker Ivan Toney.
Brentford then went ahead for the first time in the match when left-back Rico Henry scored, until Joelinton levelled the game once more six minutes before half-time.
The visitors regained their advantage when Lascelles put through his own net midway through the second half, until Allan Saint-Maximin rescued a point for the home side fifteen minutes from time.
The result means Newcastle are still winless in the league this season and are already five points adrift of safety after 12 games.
And things certainly aren’t getting any easier, with a trip to the Emirates to face Arsenal next up for Newcastle next Saturday.
Source: Read Full Article