‘Things were said about me that just didn’t add up’: Niklas Sule calls out Bayern Munich boss Julian Nagelsmann for LYING after defender was accused of refusing to be part of the Wolfsburg matchday squad ahead of his exit to rivals Borussia Dortmund
- Niklas Sule will leave Bayern Munich this summer to join Borussia Dortmund
- He was left out of the squad for their final game by boss Julian Nagelsmann
- His head coach claimed he was not prepared, but Sule has since refuted that
Niklas Sule has hit out at Bayern Munich boss Julian Nagelsmann for lying about the defender’s omission from his final matchday squad against Wolfsburg last weekend.
Sule departs Bayern this summer and was given a send-off by the club and fans ahead of their final home game of the season against Stuttgart earlier this month.
However, the centre-back was left out of the squad for the trip to Wolfsburg on the final day of the season, with Nagelsmann explaining that the player had declined to make the trip.
Niklas Sule has hit back at Bayern Munich boss Julian Nagelsmann over his Wolfsburg omission
Asked about Sule’s omission, the Bayern boss had said: ‘We asked Niki if he still wanted to come with us. Then he said: No, probably not, because he hadn’t prepared for it. That’s why we left him at home.’
However, Sule has reacted angrily to his head coach’s answer, and has since sought to explain his own side of the story.
‘That is not right. Things were said about me last weekend that just didn’t add up,’ said Sule to Bild.
‘You know: Last Thursday, Julian Nagelsmann asked me if it would be okay if I wasn’t in the squad against Wolfsburg. He wanted to reward young players who are at Bayern next season and let them go first. So there is no place for me in the squad.
Sule is set to leave the Bundesliga champions this summer and join rivals Borussia Dortmund
‘I accepted that because I understood the decision. So it was a decision of the coaching team, who for understandable reasons didn’t want me in the squad.
‘On Friday, when Marcel Sabitzer was injured, shortly before departure, one of our assistant coaches said that I could come along if I wanted to. But it’s OK if not. That was the story.’
Sule continued that what had irked him further was Nagelsmann’s insistence to the entire squad that the 26-year-old was absolved of blame for the entire situation, only to go back on his word publicly.
Sule was given a send-off by the club during his final game at the Allianz Arena this month
‘Before the championship celebration on Sunday, when we were all together, Julian Nagelsmann said in front of the entire team that I hadn’t done anything wrong and that he was sorry for what was being done to me with this story,’ he added.
‘Everyone from the team and the team around it knows that I would never have let them down.’
The Germany international will now join Dortmund this summer after agreeing a free transfer. He made 170 appearances for Bayern since joining the Bundesliga giants from Hoffenheim in 2017.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article