Senegal accuse Watford of REFUSING to release Ismaila Sarr for AFCON

Senegal accuse Watford of REFUSING to release Ismaila Sarr for the Africa Cup of Nations just days after Nigeria’s dispute with Claudio Ranieri’s side over ‘threatening’ Emmanuel Dennis

  • Senegal have accused Watford of refusing to release Ismaila Sarr for the AFCON
  • Sarr was selected as a part of squad despite being sidelined with a knee injury
  • The news came after Nigeria accused Watford of ‘threatening’ Emmanuel Dennis 

Senegal have accused Watford of refusing to release Ismaila Sarr for the Africa Cup of Nations later this month. 

The 23-year-old was selected as a part of Senegal squad despite being sidelined with a knee injury he sustained in November. 

The Senegal Football Federation have described Watford’s alleged actions as ‘disrespectful, pernicious and discriminatory’. 

Senegal accused Watford of refusing to release Ismaila Sarr for the Africa Cup of Nations later

‘By mail on Friday, December 31, the English club Watford notified on the basis of arguments equally specious as fallacious its decision to block the player Ismaila Sarr, who has expressed his desire to join the Senegalese selection for the next Cup of Nations in Cameroon,’ said a Senegal Football Federation (FSF) statement. 

‘The Senegal Football Federation wishes to express with this communication its deep condemnation of the disrespectful, pernicious and discriminatory behaviour of Watford’s hierarchy who look by all means to prevent a player from playing with his national team,’ the statement concluded. 

Sportsmail have contact Watford for their comment.  

Sarr was selected as a part of Senegal squad despite being sidelined with a knee injury

The news comes shortly after Nigeria accused Watford of ‘threatening’ Emmanuel Dennis to prevent him travelling to the Africa Cup of Nations.

Nigeria confirmed that Watford’s top scorer had been ‘excused’ from their squad having originally been included, claiming his club had been ‘baring fangs’ to force his withdrawal. 

Claudio Ranieri revealed that Nigeria missed a deadline to inform Watford of their intention to select Dennis for the tournament and that administration error gave them scope to reject his call-up. 

Nigeria manager Augustine Eguavoen claimed: ‘We tried to reach out to the club but the club was like: ‘No, we will not allow Dennis to go.

The news comes shortly after Nigeria accused Watford of ‘threatening’ Emmanuel Dennis (above) to prevent him travelling to the Africa Cup of Nations 

Watford boss Ranieri (above) responded to the allegations, claiming the matter was over

‘Dennis also told me that his club had done everything humanly possible for him not be at the AFCON. 

‘I can’t force it, I reported the matter to the authority and they also tried. That was why we had to wait until the last second before we pushed the button. 

‘Dennis said he wants to come but the club are threatening him, let me use the word, threatening him. 

‘What do we do if a player does not want to come? What are you going to do? We have to play with what we have.’

Ranieri responded to Eguavoen’s allegations, saying: ‘I think Nigeria have to speak to the [Watford] board and not the manager.

‘I am the manager, the player stays here, I’m happy and for me it is finished.’ 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article