Garry Monk SACKED by Sheffield Wednesday with the club 23rd in the Championship after a six-point deduction
- The Owls leapfrogged Derby County after a 0-0 draw with Millwall on Saturday
- Monk oversaw 58 matches for the club after taking over from Steve Bruce
- Paul Cook is one of the names in the frame to succeed Monk at Hillsborough
Garry Monk has been sacked as manager of Sheffield Wednesday.
The 41-year old was informed on Monday evening despite seeing his side secure a battling goalless draw against Millwall on Saturday that saw them rise to 23rd place in the Championship.
A club statement said: ‘Sheffield Wednesday have terminated the contracts of manager Garry Monk and his staff with immediate effect.’
Garry Monk has been sacked after little more than a year in charge of Sheffield Wednesday
Monk joined the Owls in September 2019 and has since overseen 58 games, winning 18 matches, drawing 15 and losing 25.
Chairman Dejphon Chansiri told swfc.co.uk: ‘I feel the time is right to make a change and I wish Garry and his team all the best for the future. I would like to say thank you for the time and effort Garry and his staff have committed to Sheffield Wednesday.’
The Hillsborough club had their 12-point deduction for breaching spending rules reduced to six on appeal last week.
It means they are now on six points following the weekend’s results and chairman Dejphon Chansiri has thrown down the challenge for his side to still make the play offs.
It’s a huge ask considering the handicap they have started with and following recent defeats to Luton, Rotherham and Wycombe.
Many expected Chansiri to take action after those results but he held off and Wednesday responded with a win over Bournemouth and the draw with Millwall.
Wednesday owner Dejphon Chansiri will now look to appoint his fifth permanent Owls boss
Monk had this season plus the option for another season on his contract but was informed he would be leaving his post early on Monday evening.
Chansiri will now utilise the international break to consider a replacement with Wednesday’s next game against Preston North End on November 21.
Former Wigan Athletic boss Paul Cook is understood to be among the names under initial consideration.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article