Suarez speaks out for first time since axe by Koeman at Barcelona

‘I’ll speak for myself when the time comes’: Luis Suarez breaks his silence after being told he has no place in Ronald Koeman’s Barcelona side and could join wantaway star Lionel Messi in departing Nou Camp this summer

  • Luis Suarez has been linked with moves to Inter Miami and former club Ajax 
  • The Uruguayan was told by Ronald Koeman he is free to leave Barcelona
  • The striker could be joined out of the door at the Nou Camp by star Lionel Messi 
  • But he has posted on Instagram a cryptic message saying ‘not everything is true’ 

Luis Suarez has spoken for the first time after the striker was told he was not part of new Barcelona boss Ronald Koeman’s plans.

The 33-year-old has been linked with moves to MLS side Inter Miami and former club Ajax since he and three other stars received the news from the Dutchman earlier this week that they are no longer needed.

But posting on Instagram, Suarez has come out publicly for the first time since the news broke and says he will speak about his situation when the time is right.

Luis Suarez has spoken for the first time after being told he was not needed at Barcelona

‘There are people using my name and saying things about me, people that I’ve had nothing to do with in years,’ Suarez wrote.

‘I’ll speak for myself when that time comes about,’ he added, with the post accompanied with the hashtag #notodoesverdad [#NotEverythingIsTrue.]

Koeman is looking to carry out a major summer overhaul following the humiliating Champions League exit to Bayern Munich earlier this month, and told Suarez in no uncertain terms that he was free to leave.

The Uruguay international however could be joined out of the exit door at Barcelona by Lionel Messi, who is pushing for a move away on a free transfer.

The 33-year-old Uruguayan could be joined in leaving by fellow Barcelona star Lionel Messi

The duo were spotted leaving a restaurant together on Wednesday night for the first time since the Argentine handed in a transfer request via fax to the Catalan giants.

Footage from El Chiringuito released on Thursday morning shows Messi leaving a restaurant in a black car while Suarez followed in a separate vehicle. 

Suarez – who is Barcelona’s third highest goalscorer of all time – and Messi have been close friends since the striker moved from Liverpool in 2014.

But the Uruguayan’s agent, Alejandro Balbi, says the Argentine’s next destination will determine whether Suarez will stay at the Nou Camp for the 2020-21 season.

They were seen leaving a restaurant together for the first time since Messi’s transfer request

‘Messi’s future will have an influence because they are best friends,’ Balbi told TyC Sports via Goal.

‘There is a lot of brotherly love between them; they are inseparable, always together.’

While together at Barcelona, Messi and Suarez have won the Champions League, LaLiga and the Copa del Rey. 

Suarez is Barcelona’s third highest goalscorer of all time and has been linked with Inter Miami

However, the club is currently in turmoil following the 8-2 hammering by Bayern in the Champions League quarter-final and Messi is now looking to depart after nearly two decades with the club.

The 33-year-old Argentine has received interest from front-runners Manchester City, PSG and Inter Milan, and believes a clause in his contract allowing him to walk away for nothing is still valid because the season ended in August and not May because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Barcelona say the deadline for Messi to leave for free passed in June and will contest the player’s argument that the deadline changed when the season was rearranged after lockdown.




Share this article


Source: Read Full Article