Young football star dies in horror accident aged 17 ‘after touching power cable’

Don’t wait 30 years – sign up for our daily football email newsletter today!

Non-league club AFC Fylde have been rocked by the tragic death of one of their academy players following a freak accident with a power cable over the weekend.

Luke Bennett, 17, passed away on Saturday night after touching an overhead electrical line with a metal pole while trying to retrieve a ball at Euxton Villa FC’s ground in Runshaw Hall Lane, Chorley.

Emergency services were immediately called to the scene following a report of a child being seriously injured, yet Lancashire police have confirmed that Bennett was pronounced dead at the scene.

Two other teenagers were not seriously hurt in the accident.

AFC Fylde released a statement on Monday morning which reads: “It is with deep sadness and sorrow that we must share the tragic news that AFC Fylde youth player Luke Bennett has passed away at the age of 17.

“Learning the news on Saturday evening has left us absolutely devastated and heartbroken. All our love goes out to Luke’s family and friends at this cruel and difficult time.

“Above all, Luke was a kind, popular young man who was much loved by his teammates and coaches. He was somebody who could instantly light up a room with his bubbly personality. Then, on the field, he was a naturally gifted footballer who excelled every time he represented AFC Fylde.

“The pain of Luke’s sudden and untimely passing will be felt by our football club, supporters and all who ever had the pleasure of knowing him.

Top trending sport stories right now

  • Grealish 'caught DMing Love Island girl'
  • Gerrard joins Rangers celebrations
  • Keane: Klopp has lost patience
  • Players you forgot were Prem stars
  • “Rest in peace, “Lukey B”. The memory of you will always be in our hearts.”

    Former West Ham star Trevor Sinclair tweeted this morning: "Heartfelt condolences to Luke Bennett’s family, friends & his @AFCFylde youthteam team mates & coaches."

    Police have launched an investigation into the incident, but it is believed Bennett may have been electrocuted after touching a power cable with a metal pole in an attempt to retrieve his ball.

    Insp John McNamara of Lancashire Police said: “This appalling incident has led to the tragic death of a young man and my thoughts are first and foremost with his family and loved ones at this time. The family are being supported by specially trained officers.

    “An investigation is underway and remains in its very early stages but I would appeal to anyone who has any information to get in touch with us by calling 101 and quoting log 1241 of March 6th.”

    Source: Read Full Article