England legend James Anderson fears the coronavirus pandemic could cause the domestic and international cricket season to be completely abandoned.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) are due to discuss the current health crisis and its impact on the sport with the 18 counties on Thursday.
Earlier in the week, the ECB recommended the suspension of the recreational game, just a month before the season was due to begin.
The first round of County Championship fixtures are due to take place on April 12 but they will almost certainly be suspended after the British government advised against mass gatherings and any unnecessary social contact.
Read the latest updates: Coronavirus news live
More than 220,000 people have contracted COVID-19 in 176 countries around the world.
England record wicket-taker Anderson said: ‘Cricket and sport is not the be all and end all but it is my livelihood, it’s all I know.
‘The season is unlikely to start. It’s still a little bit hazy as to what’s going to happen. There’s a chance we might not even bowl a ball this summer.’
Anderson added on the BBC’s Tailenders podcast: ‘I feel a little bit anxious. Just the not knowing is giving me a bit of anxiety.’
Due to the coronavirus, England’s two-match Test series in Sri Lanka was suspended.
Joe Root’s side are due to face West Indies at home in June but the series may be moved to the Caribbean due to the rise of coronavirus in the UK.
CWI chief executive Johnny Graves has been in contact with ECB counterpart Tom Harrison and told ESPNcricinfo: ‘To that end, yes, we have offered to host the series here in the Caribbean if that is deemed helpful.
‘The ECB would retain all commercial and broadcast rights.’
The 2020 Indian Premier League, due to start at the end of the month, has been postponed until at least April 15.
Source: Read Full Article